My skin would have to be one of the only things that pregnancy just doesn’t agree with. From the word go I have been battling hormonal acne throughout my pregnancy. I was hoping this would just last for the first trimester, but unfortunately it has not budged at all.
I read an old wives tale the other day that said if you have acne during pregnancy you are expecting a girl, as the baby girl is stealing away it’s mothers beauty! (Haha 😉 all will be revealed soon!)
Since I cannot use any acne treatment products during my pregnancy, I have kept my skincare routine fairly simple and have gone back to basics. I have found these products to have definitely kept my acne under control. While they do not treat, keeping my skin as clean as possible has really helped the situation and I noticed a huge difference when I switched to a oil free moisturiser.
THE PRODUCTS >>
1. Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm > I use this first at night to take off all my makeup. I discovered this product about 8 months ago and I am seriously addicted! It literally melts the makeup off my skin and leaves it feeling clean and fresh. Not to mention the botanical smell is out of this world. It also comes with a face cloth that ‘grips’ to the makeup. Amazing!
2. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser > Simple and gentle yet very effective. I use this to do a double cleanse after I have removed all of my makeup. It is extra gentle which works well for me as I have sensitive skin. It does not leave the skin dry at all.
3. First Aid Beauty Radiance Pads > I swipe one of these across my face after cleansing. These work as a chemical exfoliation which has made a huge difference to my acne. They are effective yet gentle enough for my sensitive skin so I can use one daily. They also act as a toner.
4. Mario Badescu Facial Spray > I spritz my face all over with this botanical spray which also tones and hydrates the skin. This is not a crucial step in my routine but I just love the smell and the way it leaves my skin with an extra layer of hydration. This can also be used anytime of the day if you feel your skin is starting to feel dry or as a makeup setting spray. The other bonus with this product is the price tag compared to other facial sprays on the market. Winner!
5. Clinique Anti Gravity Eye Cream > To be honest I don’t have any particular eye cream that I have fallen in love with and repurchase time and time again. I really only use an eye cream for preventive purposes and hydration around my eyes. Most of the eye creams on the market fit this bill. I just take a bit on my ring fingers and dab around the corners and under my eyes.
6. Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturiser > This product has really made the biggest difference in my pregnancy skincare routine. I researched for hours to find the right oil free moisturiser and this one has lived up to it’s reviews! I use this all over my face morning and night. It leaves my skin feeling plump and hydrated without the unnecessary oil. I usually have quite dry skin and was skeptical this would make matters worse but I will definitely repurchase this product again and again. I also love the ‘push down’ dispenser to keep any germs out of the jar.
7. Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask > As I mentioned earlier in this post I do have fairly dry skin. I use this mask once or twice a week to give my skin an extra boost of hydration when needed. So far I do not believe this mask has contributed to any of my breakouts. I love how easy it is to use – just put it on as a moisturiser at night and wash your face the following morning.
Please let me know if you have any pregnancy skincare recommendations as I would love to try them!